Corona virus is spreading across South Africa
Corona virus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. President Cyril Ramaphosa has declared the coronavirus disease a national disaster on Sunday 15 March. The Covid-19 has rapidly spread across South Africa. Initially, it was a group of 10 individuals who had traveled from Italy to South Africa. A 38-year-old man from the group was the first person to test positive for the virus in Kwa Zulu-Natal.
Nonetheless, South Africa has now more than 62 infections locally. The President announced several strict measures to try to control the spread of the virus in South Africa.
There are now currently four provinces that confirmed to have people infected by the virus. These provinces include KZN with 12, Gauteng 31, Western Cape 16, Mpumalanga 2 and Limpopo 1. The Limpopo province is the newest province to confirm a new case of coronavirus. Which totals to 62 cases in the country. As a result, tests and screening are conducted at international airports. As more tests are being done, the number of infected people is expected to rise.
Prevention measures of Corona Virus
On Saturday South African government has taken a step to fetch 114 SA citizens who were in the city of Wuhan in China. The group arrived at the Ranch Hotel, in Limpopo where they will be quarantined for 14 days. Furthermore, this decision came with mixed reactions from political heads and citizens, especially from Limpopo. The #LimpopoIsNotAdumpingsite was trending last week with a lot of people voicing out their concerns around this issue.
In particular, the president has also ordered the closing of schools as of Wednesday 18 March. The president forbids all gatherings of more than 100 people across the country. Thus, mass celebrations such as Human rights Day will not take place. Including church gathering for Easter celebrations.
The president also has banned travels from other countries. “We are imposing a travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries such as Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany, the United States, the United Kingdom, and China.” Said Ramaphosa
All South Africans should help fight the corona virus disease and take prevention measures. If an individual suspects they might be infected they must call the hotline 0800 029 999 for advice.
What you need to know about Corona Virus
- Coronavirus refers to a group of viruses known to cause respiratory issues.
- The new type of Coronavirus causes Covid-19
- The virus and disease was unknown before the outbreak
- Covid-19 can spread between people through respiratory droplets
- Symptoms of Covid-19 feel like flu or cold symptoms
What you can do to prevent the virus
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water
- Avoid touching, your face, eyes, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Sanitize public places surfaces you may be in contact with
- Also, practice social distance and avoid public spaces such as restaurants
- Stay at home if suspect you may be sick
How to cope with anxiety
- Read news from reliable sources
- Recognize things you can control like washing your hands and wearing face masks
- Seeking professional help if necessary